So 2012 has rolled over on the calendar – and now that everyone is back at work it’s time to review your company website and make sure everything is up to date and ready for the year ahead. This might also be a good time to look at a few of the following:
- Social Media: Are all your social media icons up to date? With the speed of change in social channels and the addition of Google + it is likely you haven’t updated your sharing icons. Do you have all the necessary “follow us on” buttons? If not, you can add the individual buttons, or if you are running a WordPress blog, you may wish to update or find a new social media sharing plugin.
- If you run a hospitality business like a restaurant, cafe, bar or accommodation provider, you may wish to explore the new “save to foursquare” button, which enables people who like the sound of your place to add it to their To Do list on Foursquare. This is also great for sites or blogs that regularly publish reviews or articles about locations and different establishments. Once the location has been added to a Foursquare To Do list, that person will get “buzzed” by Foursquare when they are in the neighbourhood, making it easy to keep track of all those places they were meaning to check out.
- Go through your site and ensure any relevant date references are updated and accurate. For example, if your About Us says your company has been in business for 12 years, update to 13 years, to keep it fresh and current.
- Review your whole site as objectively as you can – does it show all your current products and services, for example? Are there any pages that could do with some new images or a freshen up from a design perspective? One of the things that can date a site most noticeably is photography. Do your staff photos need updating? Is there anything else on the site that has been bugging you for a while that you would love to change? Now is the time to get it all done.
- Check your Google Analytics to determine the most popular content pages and ensure the content on these is absolutely up to date, as well as being a good fit with your current business objectives, which may have shifted over the last 12 months.
- Do the same for your Social Media accounts – do you need to install a fresh Facebook landing page? Do you want to run a Facebook ad campaign with a special landing page? Time for a new custom Twitter or YouTube Channel background? Time to customise your company LinkedIn profile perhaps?
If you need some assistance taking a fresh look at your site, give your account manager a call and we can spend some time doing a bit of an audit and making suggestions from our perspective.
We can also offer some user testing or add tools like Crazy Egg so you can see how visitors are using your site.